On the parish church of S. Francis, Long Eaton
It seems like a good idea to provide the directory record of each of our parishes on the website with a short history. This is much easier to do because of the archive work done by Canon A. P. Dolan, and contained in the book he had published a few months ago. Parishes could have images on their record pages as well, although that feature must be limited to three pictures each, only, at the moment. Let's begin, in no particular order with the parish church of S. Francis of Assisi in Long Eaton.
The Catholic Mission to Long Eaton probably begins with the intention of Mgr. Bagshawe, the third Bishop, to bring the Mass to the areas surrounding Nottingham. So, he reports to Rome in 1885 that a new church building had been built (1883) at Long Eaton, capable of holding 120. This small congregation was at first unable to host a priest locally, and there was some opposition to a Catholic building in the town. However, a priest did move into Long Eaton in 1895. By 1929, the old corrugated iron building of 1883 was bringing in the weather and the the foundations of the present building were laid, the building opened in 1930. In 1995, the building was dramatically reordered, with the creation of a curved sanctuary, a new baptismal-font installation and other artwork. The English Martyrs' primary school was opened in 1965 and has taken students from Long Eaton, Stapleford and Beeston. The parish has been blessed, between 1939 and 1964, with the presence of the Austrian Daughters of Divine Charity.
Source: Canon A. P. Dolan, Good News for the East Midlands: an account of the background to, and the story of, the Diocese of Nottingham, Tucann Books, 2018, pp. 176-7.