On Our Lady of Victories, Southwell
Having flipped through the book, we have landed today at Our Lady of Victories, in Southwell.
The original site and its initial building work was a gift in 1884 of Mrs. S. Sherlock, and the Bishop, Mgr. Bagshawe, hoped at the time to begin the English Mission in Southwell. But the Holy Mass returned to Southwell only in 1945, and regularly on Sundays only from 1949. The initiative was first taken by Canon Bernard Farmer of Newark. Southwell was thus served from Newark until 1963, when the priest resident in Calverton took over the ministry; the next year, Southwell and Calverton became an independent parish. The parish church of OL of Victories was founded in 1961 and was officially opened by the Bishop, Mgr. Ellis, on the 12th of September, the following year. The presbytery was built near the church in 1970 and the church itself was enlarged with a narthex and organ loft in the 1990s. In 1999 came the new parish centre, opened by the Bishop, Mgr. McGuinness. The Holy Ghost Fathers have been a strong presence in the parish between 1945 and 1972, with a house of studies at Upton Hall, and a strong relationship with the Anglican Society of the Sacred Mission at Kelham Hall.
Source: Canon A. P. Dolan, Good News for the East Midlands: an account of the background to, and the story of, the Diocese of Nottingham, Tucann Books, 2018, pp. 267-268.