On the parish of S. Bernadette, Bolsover
Although there had been a Catholic community in Bolsover in the seventeenth century, Mgr. Bagshawe found none at all during a visitation to the area in 1883. Bolsover's transformation from a market-town located beside a large castle to a mining centre had brought Catholics into the town by the end of the nineteenth century. In 1903, Fr. Charles Froes opened a Mass centre behind the house belonging to a Mr. Street, at 1 High Street. The wooden chapel was dedicated to S. Joseph and Fr. Froes was a missionary priest from Clowne, who later moved to Shirebrook. This Mission ended with his retirement in 1928. A new Mass centre was opened in 1942 in an upper room behind the residence of Mr. Kennington in Market Place. In 1943, the Diocese acquired property at 59 High Street and a stone stable block was modified to form the new chapel. A new church arrived in 1967, designed by Mr. John Rochford, but the barn continued to be used as a parish centre until it was sold in 2005 to fund renovations at Shirebrook and Bolsover. The church was updated in 2007, remaining beside the old barn and with a field behind, once planned to support a presbytery and with a view over the Peak District. Bolsover has hosted Presentation Sisters between 1981 and 1986, when they moved to Warsop.
Source: Canon A. P. Dolan, Good News for the East Midlands: an account of the background to, and the story of, the Diocese of Nottingham, Tucann Books, 2018, pp. 56-7.