The Little Company of Mary
Founded by the Venerable Mary Potter in Hyson Green, Nottingham, on the 2nd of July 1877, the Little Company of Mary includes vowed members and the Greater Company of Mary, which is comprised of associate and affiliate members.
Our Congregation takes its name and spiritual model from the ‘little Company’ that stood with Mary at the foot of the cross on Calvary. As Sisters of the Little Company of Mary, we are called to be her companions - one with her in mind and heart - as we live our lives with and for Christ. We are women who make visible His healing love by our prayer, presence, compassion, and care for those around us, particularly those in need, especially the sick and the dying.
At the 18th Congregational Chapter in 2017 we affirmed our commitment to this mission: we are impelled to be contemplative women of the Gospel, who are one in the Heart of Mary. We empower one another to be open to new initiatives to meet emerging needs and be a healing presence in our broken world.
We are present across the world in Australia, Aotearoa in New Zealand, Tonga, Ireland and Italy, South Africa and Zimbabwe, South Korea and the Philippines, the United Kingdom, the United States of America and in support missions in Albania and East Timor.
In the Nottingham Diocese, we are present at:
- the Mary Potter Heritage Centre, 32 Regent Street, Nottingham
- Ribblesdale Road, Sherwood
- The Sanctuary, Radford Road
- S. Barnabas Cathedral