All Saints, Ashborne
Published 8th of October 2019
23 Belle Vue Road, Ashbourne DE6 1AT
Clergy: Rev. Fr. J. Guest; Rev. Mr. K. Bunyan, deacon.
Telephone contact: 01335 342236
E-mail contact: email@example.com.
Mass timings: Sunday, 9.30; Holy days, 19.30.
Confessions: by appointment.
Safeguarding representative: Mrs. Z. Roscoe.
History: The area around Ashbourne was notable for its recusant population in the seventeenth century and a chaplain lived at Yeldersley Hall until the middle of the eighteenth century. Ashbourne had been supplied by Fr. Thomas Bloodworth of the Derby mission fro 1783/4 to 1815. Hollyoak's Hotal at Ashbourne became the first Mass centre in the area since the Reformation and was registered as such in 1804 by Fr. Paul Royer, a French émigré priest who lived in Ashbourne then. In 1837, Fr. Mulholland became officially resident at Ashbourne, although he had lived there for some time. In 1847, he gave over the care of the Catholics in Ashbourne to the Oblates of Mary Immaculate, who moved to Oscott in 1849 but continued to serve Ashbourne until 1852. Passionists arrived for a year from Oakamoor and in 1853 the first of the diocesan priests to serve Ashbourne, Fr. Richard Raby, began his residence.
The first chapel built was replaced with the present church building in 1888, the land being given to Mgr. Bagshawe, the third Bishop, in 1877 by Mr. Shuttleworth of Bath. A school-chapel was erected to complement Ashbourne's Catholic school. The new church, a small gothic building, was funded by Fr. James O'Haire, a former missionary in South Africa. He arrived in 1887 and remained for some four years. He helped pay off the debt on the church with a sermon tour of the country. The church was dramatically altered in the 1960s, still housing an oak statue of S. Ralph Sherwin, who was born at nearby Rodsley in 1550 and martyred at Tyburn in 1581. A parish room was also opened for use in 2006.
Ashbourne's parish hosted a Carmelite monastery at Offcote Hurst from 1926 to 1948. The Sisters of Mercy also arrived in 1948 to Ednaston Lodge, setting up the S. Mary's nursing home. The home moved into lay administration, with one of the Sisters resident for pastoral support, until it was finally closed in 2016.
Source: Canon A. P. Dolan, Good News for the East Midlands: an account of the background to, and the story of, the Diocese of Nottingham, pp. 44-45.