Christ the King, Alfreton

Published 2nd of October 2019

104 Nottingham Road, Alfreton DE55 7GL

Deanery of Amber Valley

Clergy: Rev. Fr. James O'Hanlon; Rev. Mr. Michael Browne, deacon.#

Parish assistant: Sr. Margaret FSM

Telephone contact: 01773 833174

E-mail contact: ctkchurch@sky.com.

Mass timings: Saturday 18.30; Sunday, 10.30; Holy days, as announced.

Confessions: Saturday 18.00-18.30; after the Sunday Mass.

Chairman of the pastoral council: Mr. B. Johnson.

Safeguarding representatives: Mrs. V. Grant, Mr. J. Johnson.

History: The Mission at Alfreton began in 1877 with a handful of Catholics, for whom Fr. Michael IVers of Clay Cross offered Mass on alternate Sundays. A property was obtained in 1879 for a brick chapel dedicated to Mary, and to hold a hundred and twenty persons. The new church was opened in 1883 by the vicar general, Mgr. McKenna and Mass was offered weekly from 1894. During the Great War, there was no longer a resident priest and Mass fell once more to every fortnight, and the building to ruin. From 1920, Alfreton was separated from Clay Cross and received its own parish priest and was given the Ripley district, whose Catholics had been attending Mass at the private chapel of the Wrights of Butterley Grange. Fr. Sydney Heald arrived in 1922 and was given the cure of Clay Cross also; the number of parishioners increased to the point of bursting the old chapel, and the liturgical life of the parish improved considerably. In 1927, Mgr. Dunn, the fifth Bishop, laid the foundation stone for the new church, built in the romanesque style and dedicated to Christ the King, and opened on the 20th of August of that year.

The parish hall was opened in the 1950s and the primary school in 1964, originally staffed by the Franciscan Sisters Minoress of Clay Cross; the Sisters still remain in the school government. The convent of the Sisters Minoress was established in 1993 to mark the 800th anniversary of the birth of S. Clare of Assisi. The Sisters remains a strong presence in the parish.

Source: Canon A. P. Dolan, Good News for the East Midlands: an account of the background to, and the story of, the Diocese of Nottingham, Tucann Books, 2018, pp. 41-3.