Our Lady of Mercy and S. Philip Neri, Melbourne
Published 22nd of January 2019
Church Street, Melbourne, Derby DE73 8EJ
Deanery of Loughborough
Clergy: Rev. Fr. A. Axe OP, Rev. Mr. P. Boshell (deacon).
Telephone contact: 01332 862631.
E-mail contact: email@example.com.
Mass timings: Sunday, 10.30; Holy days, as announced.
Confessions: on request.
Chairman of the pastoral council: Mr. C. Brookes.
Safeguarding representative: Mrs. C. Hickie.
History: The English Mission at Melbourne began with the patronage of Lord and Lady Kerr at Melbourne Hall who, within a few days of their arrival in 1906, had converted the loft of a disused building on their property into a makeshift chapel, later called the Tea Rooms. The Holy Mass thus returned to Melbourne in 1906, accompanied by the Benediction of the Blessed Sacrament soon afterwards. The present church building was founded by the fourth Bishop, Mgr. Brindle, in 1907, being opened for use in 1908. Lady Kerr had wished to herself erect the church, but died too soon; her family gave the church its Lady chapel in 1909, in her memory. In 1929, the sanctuary was oak-panelled in memory of the recently deceased Lord Kerr. A priest has been resident since 1907, with responsibility also for the Catholics of Castle Donington, and the presbytery was added in 1909. The property was handed over to the Diocese by the Kerr family in 1982.
Source: Canon A. P. Dolan, Good News for the East Midlands: an account of the background to, and the story of, the Diocese of Nottingham, Tucann Books, 2018, pp. 204-5.