Celebrating the centenary of the Armistice at the parish of S. George and All Soldier Saints, Old Normanton
The following is a picture-post of the displays created at the parish church of S. George and All Soldier Saints in Old Normanton, following the knitting of over 1,200 poppies by parishioners. A wall memorial of family members who served in the military over the last one hundred years was also erected. All this was made to mark the centenary of the end of the First World War.
S. Georges and All Soldier Saints, Derby, is a church built as a memorial to the forty-eight parishioners who died during the Great War, and named to reflect the rich military history of the city and suburb it was built in. Land was donated for the church after the First World War in an area which had seen immigration of workers to the Rolls-Royce factory, established in 1907. The patron was Mr Henry Pinchbeck and designs were prepared by J. S. Brocklesby. The foundation stone was laid by Mgr. Thomas Dunn, fifth bishop of Nottingham, on S. George’s Day (the 23rd of April), 1920, and the completed church was opened by the Bishop on December 18 in the same year. In 1945, the church became parochial, and a Lady Chapel was created after a Second World War Memorial was added.